Woman 'dies' during Banchory race

Jeanette Adams needed CPR after collapsing during the race. [Image: Evening Express]
A north-east woman has told of the moment she 'died' for half an hour while competing in a charity race in Banchory.

Jeanette Adams, 47, was taking part in the Prime Four Banchory Beast Race with colleagues last week when she collapsed with a heart attack.

In a Facebook post, she wrote: "I am the lady who chose the first class exit via a helicopter after very nearly completing the race.

"This was my first attempt at such an activity and by no means my last.

"I was mentally and physically prepared for this but unfortunately we cannot foresee this sort of thing."

Adams, an administration co-ordinator from Seaton in Aberdeen, was competing on behalf of Chest, Heart & Stroke Scotland with her colleagues from Vroon Offshore Services.

She began to feel unwell during the race before suffering the heart attack.

But an off-duty doctor in the crowd - there to watch his daughter compete in the race - sprung into action.

"[He] without a doubt saved my life," Adams said.

He performed CPR on her for thirty minutes before she was airlifted to Aberdeen Royal Infirmary.

She added: "I want to say thank you to everyone that has wished me well. I look forward to doing it again next year, where I will walk over the finish line."

Some 2,000 people took part in the Beast Race at Knockburn Sports Loch near Banchory last Sunday.

The course is 10km long and covers 30 obstacles to test the fundraisers' mettle, all over forest, hill and loch.

No comments:

Post a Comment